Since the pandemic has forced people worldwide to distance themselves socially, several digital and online platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Spotify have released some new features that will allow their users to virtually hang out with their friends. While Facebook has Rooms and Spotify now lets people listen to their favourite songs with their friends or close ones at the same time, Amazon Prime now has something called Watch Party. Much like to Netflix Watch Party, Amazon India has rolled out its own Watch Party option for its subscribers.
Users who have subscribed to the Prime version will be able to watch movies, shows, and other entertainment programmes and content in real-time with their friends and family.
It is important to note that the Amazon Watch Party feature is currently only available for the desktop version of Prime Video, and is only supported by particular computer browsers, such as Chrome and Firefox. Safari and Internet Explorer have not yet supported this format. Also, this feature will work only if each individual and/or account involved has a Prime subscription. In India, this costs Rs. 999/-.
Here is a guide on using the Watch Party feature on Amazon Prime:
- Open the Prime Video site on your desktop devices. Call up and the members of the group that you wish to watch with to have their websites opened, as well.
- Type in the name of the movie or TV show you would like to watch with your friends in the search bar of Prime.
- When it comes to movies, you will be able to find the Watch Party option on its title page. Click on that. Shows, however, will carry the option on individual episodes.
- You can chat with your friends while watching the show. Therefore, you will be asked to pick a chat name before you can begin the watch party.
- Once the name has been assigned to the chat and each member, click on the tab that reads ‘Create Watch Party.’
- You will now have the option to share the Watch link with a maximum limit of 100 people. All of them require a subscription to Prime.
- Other people can join by clicking on the link you send to them. Once everyone is set, you can start your watch party.