In the first article of Fleet Management, we had a brief introduction to the Fleet Management. We also understood why the GPS Vehicle tracker is the heart of Fleet Management and Why do we need it?
Now, we will move forward with what are the functions of Fleet Management.
Functions of Fleet Management includes –
- GPS Vehicle tracker
- Mechanical diagnostics
- Driver behavior
- Fleet management software
- Fleet security and control
The soul of the Fleet Management is the GPS Vehicle Tracker. Let’s brief ourselves with the function of GPS tracker.
1. GPS Vehicle Tracker
- This is the primary function of Fleet Management. It does make sense, right? I mean, if the doctor can’t locate where the problem is, how can you expect him to find the solution. The GPS Vehicle Tracker System is the doctor here. It is usually based on the GPS service but sometimes it’s also based on the ‘GLONASS’. It stands for Global Navigation Satellite System. And yes, as the name suggests, it uses space-based satellite navigation system. The same principle applies to tracking trailers. Location does not have to be an issue anymore!
- Once the factors like location, speed, and directions are calculated by the GPS system, the Vehicle Tracking System sends them to the Fleet Management, who then based on their expertise take further decisions to further roll the process.
2. Mechanical Diagnostics
- Data such as Fuel Consumption, mileage, and other real-time components are determined by the Mechanical Diagnostics.
- This happens through the advanced Fleet Management system which allows the operator to connect to the vehicle’s onboard computer, and gather data for the user.
3. Driver behavior
- We are aware that the road business is tough and rather harsh. It’s not easy to sail through these conditions. This is why we hear about the severe cases of accidents which leads to loss of not only fortune but also the lives.
- In order to deal with this, the advanced system of Fleet management has vehicle telematics systems. They collect a full range of data in real-time and transport and fleet managers.
- These data collection along with the combination of the history of the driver can be used to determine a profile which indicates his efficiency.
- If the Management system finds that the behavior patterns are dangerous, the driver is sent into training facilities which help him overcome his problems.
4. Fleet Security and Control
- The success of any business is determined by how much its users trust them. This trust is built over the security that they provide. We do know that Fleet service is a risky arena which includes stolen or rogue vehicles to stolen cargo. Therefore, it needs tight security which can help the owners prevent or at least minimize their losses.
- The recent developments un the Fleet management allows them to ensure the security of the vehicle while stopped or not in operation and the ability to safely disable a vehicle while in operation.
And finally, the dessert for the end,
5. The Fleet Management Software
- It’s one thing to be prepared but when things are happening in the field where even the slightest error of judgment can result in a big loss, we tend to look for ways to make sure that things don’t end up that way. As a wise man once said, ‘Prevention is better than cure’. Again, technology has made life easier and efficient.
- In the same way, the Fleet management uses the FMS or Fleet management Software to have better and efficient control and execution of tasks. The FMS enables people to accomplish a series of specific tasks in the management of any or all aspects relating to a company’s fleet of vehicles.
Using a proper FMS system can prosper the business in unlimited ways. But these are the most prominent reasons why one should definitely have it.
That concludes the second article on the Fleet Management Series. Check out the articles on Artificial Intelligence and Cloud Computing.